Do you know your origins? Your roots? Just as the root of a tree, our forefathers somehow became the foundation of our life and generations to come.This is the branch (or root) of my family that I am not familiar with, from my maternal grandfather's side. My maternal grandfather, Anis@ Go Kong An (something like that. Not really sure of the spelling much less the Chinese character for his name), died before I was born. (My mum actually have a Chinese name but it was not used in any legal documents)

His father (my great grandpa) was Chinese while his mother (my great grandmother) was Melanau Rajang from Kampung Nangka. The girl standing next to my great grandmother was my grandfather's sister.
Why am I not familiar with this side of my family?
First of all, I didn't even know that I was of mixed 'grand'parentage until I was almost 12 years old.
Reasons:
- It was never mentioned.
- We never speak in any other languages at home other than Iban (Used to know a bit of Kayan and Kejaman though since our neighbour was Kejaman).
- My grandfather embraced the Iban way of life wholeheartedly, settled down in the longhouse and never converse in Melanau to his children.
- We never met any of my Melanau relatives , or if we did, they never mentioned it. (Chinese ones? I guess they were still somewhere in China, perhaps)
- My grandfather died before I was born.
Hope to meet more and learn more about this 'root' of my family tree before it is lost. One of my Melanau relatives that I know was my late uncle Juin Ibis. My grandfather's relatives mostly resides around Kampung Nangka and Kampung Banyuk area in Sibu. My grandfather was closely related with Ali Putih (Don't ask me who he was, I have zero idea). So, if you somehow know people who are related to me (or at least with Juin Ibis) give me a buzz. I want to know more about this 'root'.
Blood, they say, is always thicker than water.
Food for thought:
Sometimes people will say that children or people with mixed parentage are a clever lot.
True?
Hmmm... I don't really think so.
My Mum's sister (already of mixed parentage) married a Chinese. So how did the son turn out to be?
An idiot and a jerk.
Another of my Mum's sister, married a Peranakan Chinese. How did the kids fare?
Not so much different than non-mixed parentage kids.
So, there might not be any concrete evidence to show that the saying is true. The environment is a greater influence on a person's intelligence (be it cognitive, social or emotional) rather that the genes.
It's a game of 'Nature vs Nurture'.
Blood, they say, is always thicker than water.
---------------------------------------
Food for thought:Sometimes people will say that children or people with mixed parentage are a clever lot.
True?
Hmmm... I don't really think so.
My Mum's sister (already of mixed parentage) married a Chinese. So how did the son turn out to be?
An idiot and a jerk.
Another of my Mum's sister, married a Peranakan Chinese. How did the kids fare?
Not so much different than non-mixed parentage kids.
So, there might not be any concrete evidence to show that the saying is true. The environment is a greater influence on a person's intelligence (be it cognitive, social or emotional) rather that the genes.
It's a game of 'Nature vs Nurture'.
5 comments:
I have yet to find my real root. I am still confused at grandfather-grandmother stage, how?
Taking things for granted, maya niang Ini agi idup suba nadai ka betanya. Now I only have my Dad to ask.
Dad!
Christ you are right, mix marriage will produce a genius generation? Hmmm busted...what a suck Phua Chu Kang metos... Hmmm I guest so...It can tell from ur father face, he is really tough man even in his late 50. Boleh dikatakan kitak the whole family ukai Iban coz saiz kitak besai tingii, org Iban nadai tinggi bakanya... sorry kawan Iban sigi amat sida tok sigi besai tinggi magang...
Lapa enda contact bala relatives cina deh, akek ku pun ari menua china, tang maioh sida semadi diau ba sibu and Sungai Padi Bintangor, tahun baru cina bisi menjemput tang malas kak pergi, bisi gak sida jenguk inek ku ba rumah panjai. Inek aku ari indai ku puer Cina diangkat Iban nyadI Iban. Mak Grace pun pure cina, she inherit the chinese look from her mother, don't u think? Aku baru nemu cina nyebut telor dlm mandarin nya Vhi tang hahaha....
ya lah...
if i ask my mum to 'betusut', it will get very complicated. Last-last, I will get so confused and get it all mixed up. I think I better put it down in a chart.
hehe
My Dad is pure Iban (aku rasa la).
He is already 62 years old now. Engka kami tu spesies Iban ke tinggi2 sertabesai. niang aki aku (menyadi ini aku) betuboh besai, nya kami ngangau ka ia aki Jugam. Family sepiak apai aku sigi bebesai tuboh serta tinggi (tapi bisi sekeda cousin aku ke kemetot gak.haha).
Nadai nemu dini sida ia. Aki tuai kami nya kediri aja mindah ari menua din, pelaba aku.
lol kemetot, haha. maioh student aku kemetot diak, tang org Iban ari menua bukai enda gak entu kemetoto deh, agi ba univ suba selalu genge enggau rog Sri aman, besai tinggi pun, maioh makai protein, kurang makai belacan
Post a Comment